Features

Monday, January 31, 2011

Why my friends think I'm crazy....*they're quite right..*

Since being rather sedentary for.. oh most of my life... (I was the kid who sat in my room and read books all summer and watched re-runs of Bob Villa's how-to show never really intending to do anything with my 'newly' acquired knowledge...) my friends are rather hard on me these days ;)  I told my cousin Melissa I was having a lazy Sunday and she said that lazy would be the last word she'd think of to describe me.  I never thought that someone would say something like that about me, and was quite proud.  The changes are working (esp. when other people start to notice.)

My friend Lynn jokes that if I were to get a tattoo it would be "fit or die."  If you saw me though, you wouldn't think that I'm the fittest person that you've ever seen.  (Baby-steps.. let's hope it comes in time.. haha)  I'm just 'extreme.'  If you could use one word to describe me, I suppose one key word could be extreme-  all-or-nothing.  In March of 2010, I decided that if I was going to get fit, then this was the time to do it.  I had seen a nutritionist before when I was in University and she told me that people can sit in the "I want to do the action" stage of an action for a really long time.  I suppose I took that literally and took about six years to figure out that these were the actions that I needed to do, to become that person that I'd always known that I was on the inside.  I joined Lyzabeth Lopez's Hourglass Bootcamp and went hardcore.  Made it through hell week (5 consecutive days of 1 hour long morning bootcamp sessions) and hit it hard for the next five months with my bootcamp workouts.  I shed 28 lbs of the 50 that I wanted to.  I've since gained back 8lbs.  I'm struggling a little still with the diet and trying to figure it all out. 

At one point I was doing bootcamp, pilates, hot yoga, running and bootcamping it, boxing on Saturdays and rest on Sundays after running my long run.  That was a bit extreme.  I've toned it down a bit, but I'm training for a half marathon right now called the Chilly half that's the first Sunday in March.  I'm nervous because my ankle keeps swelling up, and after a visit to an athletic therapist, have been told that I need new shoes with more of a stabilized sole.  To my relief, I can still wear my favourite Asics brand, but to my pocketbook\s relief.... it too will be losing some weight.

Today I signed up for a 5k for St. Patrick's day (the Sunday before the actual St. Patrick's day,) the Sporting Life 10k, and the Warrior Dash in July in Barrie (who wouldn't want to sprint up a hill in the middle of a race, then jump through rings of fire haha I'm not kidding.)  Two other people from work are going to do it,  I'm pumped. Of course I'm pumped..... I'm crazy after all.

I'm going to go and catch some tv before I have to hit the hay at 10.  I have bootcamp with Nate tomorrow morning at 6am and I'm going to kick some butt!!  Let's hope that I can get in some more long runs and training for the half, or perhaps I'll have to get someone to carry me.... ;)

xox lovelies,
Bexx

No comments:

Post a Comment